The Hilltop Castle used to stand inside the mediaeval city walls, situated near the Gosławice Gate. Its name comes from the name of the hill it is located on, which was the most elevated point in the city. Erected between 1382 and 1387 by the order of Prince Vladislaus II of Opole, the castle is one of the most mysterious buildings in the city. The only part that survived to this day is the Gothic castle tower, accessible in the past via a bridge hanging above a moat. The tower is now neighbour to a mechanical school complex, and the Hilltop Castle was restored and made available to visitors in November 2018.